Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

Autumn is here, apparently


As my friend Peter pointed out my blog has been very much neglected of late.  The cob webs of blogging have set in nearly as much as the cobweb of my cycling forays.  Never the less having done little more than weekend warrior mileage over the last 4 months I shall tell the tale of the Boxing day world champs… so gather round children.  The day was a Wednesday, more significantly boxing day.  Traditionally reserved for drinking unwanted wine that the relatives forced on you and gorging on the previous days left overs, I was about to learn that Perth cyclists must just have a protein shake and an early night on Christmas day.  I drove down, such is my current level of fitness (and frankly at a 6:30am start I would pretty much have to set off on Christmas day to ride there).  As I risked my regular parking spot before glancing around for the meter man, I assembled the bike in temperatures of 28 degrees.  I rolled the 300 yards or so through Fremantle’s back streets only to find the street literally crammed with cyclists.  Estimates put the number at around 350 riders, drawn in by the not so mythical Papas world champs.  Henk Vogels (a blast from the mid 90’s anyone?) presented a trophy before we got under way and the rules were briefly explained… It’s better to die than get dropped being the biggie.  I was sceptical and perhaps a bit arrogant as we set off but within a few hundred yards the Green edge boys, Cameron Meyer, Jack Bobridge, Luke Durbridge and Graham Brown were keeping the pace close to 50km/h.   Before long arrogance was replaced by pain and sweat as I was thrown back into a race not dissimilar to a kermesse.   I grimaced for the best part of an hour as one long line extended along Perth’s river side roads.  After 1 and a half hours I began to replace pain with optimism as we approached the final run in along the causeway and down to the finish line… but no, just as I made my way into the top 50 for the first time the expected left turn never came and instead we made our way onto what would have to be described as a finishing loop, 25k’s worth!  I was tailed off more than once as we snaked our way around Perth’s back roads but with a bit of savvy riding (alright a well timed red light) I found my way back to the dwindling bunch of 50 riders.  Unfortunately this story doesn’t end with Joel getting the better of Graham Browne in a tight finish, the last hill of the day saw me and about 20 others slip graciously off the back and arrive in a couple of minutes down, led home by the Australian institute of Sport boys, and I mean boys as they were all on Junior gears.  Needless to say this was by far the hardest club ride I’ve ever done, a 44 km/h (26mph) average and a slight hangover from the day before didn’t mix well.  Cameron Meyer took the win in front of a reasonably sized crowd, complete with a motor bike photographer.   

Onto the area which seems to be taking up most of my time out here in OZ, work.  I finally resigned from the cement factory in January of this year to pursue a slightly more unusual career as a… drum roll please… Pest controller.  The job is immensely varied, I drive all over Perth committing acts of insect atrocities, giving people peace of mind and pest free houses.  I can’t say it was my first answer when I was asked as a 5 year old what I wanted to be, but then again I’m not a fire engine either.  The job does take up a lot of my time but I am making a decent living from it and with the ever nearing arrival of my sister in Australia, the money will come in handy.  The only down side is the early Monday morning start as I roll up slightly bleary eyed having been up half the night watching the weekends Belgian spring classic!  Perth’s weather seems to be behaving like a middle aged man fretting over the purchase of a Harley at the moment.  The Summer was the hottest on record as we recorded 22 days which reached over 38 degrees, topping out at 43C.  Now that’s fair enough, a decent summer is much appreciated but as I write we are one month away from Winter, and the temperatures still hit 27/28 degrees almost daily as Perth clings on to the good old days of summer.  With a bit of luck the days of heavy rain, long evenings in front of the fire and a reason to wear the Duffel coat I recently purchased are not far away.   

Finally I like to give a special word for extraordinary achievements in cycling.  This one is not so much a result as much as it is a step into the unknown.  www.mnmtours.com is a blogging website following the exploits of my former room mate from Belgium back in 2011, Mike Gregg.  Please take a moment to follow his Journey across Europe by bike as he camps in every field and climbs every mountain.   





Below: I live about 10km into the darkness!

 ouch

No comments:

Post a Comment